About Me

I am a photographer, writer and social scientist...this is my forum for creative expression. I am using this blog to document my days and nights in the city that never sleeps...all the photographs, unless otherwise credited, have been shot by yours truly. If I offend you...good...I hope you begin to think more critically about the world in which we live. I am here to discuss the good, the bad, and the ugly...and there is a whole lotta ugly out there!!! If you have a problem with anything that I write or photograph, let me know. It will not change my opinion but I appreciate and welcome discourse. One little bit of advice...don't do stupid things and let me photograph you...it will turn up on my blog.

Thanks.

Saturday, August 23, 2008

1980s

Greetings…something has been brought to my attention that I must address. There are a growing number of people in the music, fashion, and entertainment industries that are reviving and promoting the 1980’s retro look. Take a look at the examples below.

Here is my biggest problem with the whole 80s revival – most of the kids that are supporting it were not even born in the 80’s. There are all these 17 and 18 year olds running around talking about how cool the 80’s were. Look, I was born in the late 70’s, and grew up in the 80’s. THE 80’S WERE WACK.

Think about it…crack, Reagan and Bush, the moral majority, Yugos, blatant racism on television and in the movies, and the fashion wasn’t all that cool. There were no street wear companies in the 80’s, so you had to buy Jordache or Bugle Boy and try to flip it…try to make it unique…try to make it cool.

Basically, this 80’s kick is an imitation that is rooted in fiction…because a lot of people are basing their fashion sense on movies and videos from the 80’s…that’s not what regular people were wearing!!! It would be kind of cool if the retro trend was derived from what people actually wore in the 80’s… but it is not. The trend is being dictated by movies and Tv Shows that were popular…It’s one thing for fashion designers (artists) to imitate the 1980’s fashion sense, but it’s another thing to imitate an imitation.

SO… the 80’s are back…great…enjoy the tight jeans, the faux-hawks, and all the coke you can sniff.

PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment