About Me

I am a photographer, writer and social scientist...this is my forum for creative expression. I am using this blog to document my days and nights in the city that never sleeps...all the photographs, unless otherwise credited, have been shot by yours truly. If I offend you...good...I hope you begin to think more critically about the world in which we live. I am here to discuss the good, the bad, and the ugly...and there is a whole lotta ugly out there!!! If you have a problem with anything that I write or photograph, let me know. It will not change my opinion but I appreciate and welcome discourse. One little bit of advice...don't do stupid things and let me photograph you...it will turn up on my blog.

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Rock the Bells NYC - aug 3, 2008




Peace.
This post is one for the records - I unexpectedly ended up at the Rock the Bells show in New York that took place at the Jones Beach Amphitheater. Thanks to Shah and Suemyra, I saw one of the best shows that I have seen in the past two or three years as well as got some dope photos. I missed De La, and a bunch of other cats, but the acts that I did see, were pretty amazing. Performers included: Ghost and Rae, Black Star, Pharoahe Monch, Nas, Jay - Z, A Tribe Called Quest, Method Man and Redman...and many others. Check out the full line up at http://www.guerillaunion.com/rockthebells/

From the time that we got in the spot, the day was hectic...security was sweating me backstage, even though I had a media badge (good look Seven)...there were mad people...and I was running around trying to capture the action backstage as well as on stage.

First up -- The Mighty Mos Def
He was later joined by Talib Kweli.






Pharoahe Monch tells them to, "GET THE F*CK UP!!!"



Backstage -- the natural leaf.


Dope tattoo.


Slick Rick.


DJ PREMIER.



Dres Backstage.


Method Man and Redman.


I'm on stage with METH!!!!!!!!!


Redman and Method Man.


Redman was in a zone all night...


Meth in the Lights.


If you find a bag of weed on floor, what you gonna do?......


Redman and Keith Murray.





Red and Meth brought out EPMD...What!!!!!



During Nas' set, Jay Z rocked a song or two with him...it was kind of awesome.
On another note - a lesson to all would be photographers...always be prepared.





Before Nas' set started, I was backstage chillin, and I got tired of holding my camera, so I put it in my bag. Not more than two seconds after I secured the camera in the bag, did I turn around and see Jay-Z standing three feet in front of me. I say, "Wow", and then "What's up" and think to myself how ironic it is that I did not have my camera out. He said, "what's up" and kept it moving.
After Nas' set I had to go charge my battery, so I found an outlet way back in the cut near a stairwell. I was kneeling on the ground switching out the battery of my camera and realized some people were walking over to me. I thought to myself that security was about to harass me, but when I looked up, it was Beyonce..?!! She smiled and said, "What's up", and then Jay-Z walked by and said peace...it was crazy...again, I was not ready with my camera!!!

But anyway, back to the Nas performance.


And to finish off the night...A Tribe Called Quest.



Watch the slide show -- there is a lot that you haven't seen!!!!!!!!!!!




What a night -- Hip Hop ain't DEAD!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment