About Me

I am a photographer, writer and social scientist...this is my forum for creative expression. I am using this blog to document my days and nights in the city that never sleeps...all the photographs, unless otherwise credited, have been shot by yours truly. If I offend you...good...I hope you begin to think more critically about the world in which we live. I am here to discuss the good, the bad, and the ugly...and there is a whole lotta ugly out there!!! If you have a problem with anything that I write or photograph, let me know. It will not change my opinion but I appreciate and welcome discourse. One little bit of advice...don't do stupid things and let me photograph you...it will turn up on my blog.

Thanks.

Sunday, March 16, 2008

SXSW Fri (1/4) - Thrift Store

Friday afternoon, Rosetta Stoned was performing in a parking lot adjacent to a thrift store that donated all of their proceeds to the community. The bill for the afternoon included Y-Love (the Orthodox Jewish emcee that is not Matisyahu).


This was an interesting spot. The thrift store was definitely in the hood...I mean in the hood. I walked around the corner looking for some food, found a liquor store that sold tacos, and ran into the strip. On this one little side street in east Austin, I was forced to encounter the reality of what is happening in our country...crack cocaine is alive and kicking. I buy my taco, step out of the store (which was run by a Mexican lady), and walk up to this cat to ask for a lighter. In the time it takes for him to reach into his pocket and hand it to me, a fiend walks up and buys crack (right in front of me), then another person comes up to buy crack (this one short a dollar on the $3 pricetag). I was bewildered...how could you buy/sell crack right in front of some dude from out of town trying to light his black and mild...yeah. I walked back to the spot, shocked and slightly appalled, but ready for more eye opening experiences.


...back to the music.

Check out the shirt -- are you allowed to use the word "Jewfro".







Shunda - K

Big ups to Treasure City Thrift.

1 comment:

  1. interesting stuff, that part of town was definitely shady as fuck, as soon as I got out of the car some bum came up to me and was like "hey cracker, got any change?" I was pretty taken aback. That's crazy some dude slingin' crack right in front of you and shit though.

    ReplyDelete